About Me

My photo
An erstwhile Finance professional. Love eating, travelling and more recently writing.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

A trip to Stratosphere

I got up in cold sweat at 5.45 in the morning today. I have had my share of weird dreams, but this was the weirdest of them all. My dreams have always been full of action and drama and this was no exception. Most of the dreams get lost in memory after I wake up. Therefore I decided that today I would get up and write it down immediately. So here goes:





"We have all heard of Doomsday theory. This was probably the theme of my dream. It began with a lot of people talking about how the world was coming to an end, and the only way we could all survive was to get to the Stratosphere as quickly as possible. TV Channels, newspapers, Social media - this was the only topic that was under discussion everywhere. This was a hot topic of discussion amongst us friends as well. Everyone around us were preparing for the trip and we could literally feel the population come down. Streets were not as crowded as before, neighbours were gone. Most of them had left for stratosphere as soon as the news was out.


Particularly enthusiastic was our friend Hemanth. Five of us – Karthik, Rahul, Hemanth, Aruna and I discussed this at length and decided that this was what we should be doing too. We made plans for the expedition and were quite excited.


The Big day arrived. There was a space car waiting for us (Don’t ask me how it was available to us. This was a dream. I don’t question logic) . Rahul and Aruna called up to say they weren’t joining. The rest of us decided to go anyway as per plan. This space car needed someone to take to the wheels, which Hemanth did.


We were all talking and laughing like all this was normal. We set off and were airborne. We came across other “fellow tripsters” and commented about them, made jokes about their space-cars etc. We were going faster than a normal car would and it was like making a trip on a picturesque path. We could see valleys and mountains. I imagined myself on an trip to the Himalayas. After a long while we had gone above the mountains and the path was totally clear. It was just air around us. Our energy and enthusiasm had drained a bit. Perhaps we felt a tinge of fear. It was dark and empty all around.


Suddenly, I thought I saw a figure on the path and heard a thud. No one said a word and I dismissed it. Later I saw a blonde girl flying solo and in a split second I couldn’t see her anymore as we flew over her. There was a thud again. We all fell silent. Each of us were silently wondering if our space car had hit her. If yes, there was no chance of her survival.





This got me thinking suddenly. Where were we going anyway? Why did we believe all this was true and that a trip to stratosphere was really necessary. There have been countless , baseless “scientific theories” in the past which were later found to be untrue. Why did we decide to believe this one and start off on this expedition? What if, days after all the space-cars had left, the people who were left behind on earth still survived and life was normal? What if they realized that all that talk about going to Stratosphere was ridiculous .... and all those who set for it were fools? .. . Oh My God.. my parents.. mom, papa.. what were they doing right now?? They would be devastated… I just wanted to get back..but.. but.. could we turn around? did we have enough fuel?





I turned to Hemanth and screamed.. “please change course, lets get BACK …LETS GET BACKKKKK” "





And that’s when I got up …

6 comments:

Aarti said...

Daymn,that's one vivid dream Deeps.. I never dream :( (unless I cook up a fantasy and even then won't remember it by the time I wake up).. Btw, why did Rahul & aruna drop out?? (Curious)

Looks like you do have quite an imagination!! :-)

Deeps said...

We all dream everyday.... But its only dreams that we have when we don't sleep so sound that we remember :-) I have had really amazing dreams before... I wish I had written them all down like this..

murali said...

wasn't ur recent tweet abt 'kudikaari':)..Anyway congrats on writting it up,now this will remain in space time fabric for future stratosphere travellers to treasure.

Deeps said...

Haha... Murali... If I become famous, then maybe...

PrasannaPeshkar said...

Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.
Nice post and I wish I had written all my dreams like this..!

dEEpz said...

Thanks prasanna