About Me

My photo
An erstwhile Finance professional. Love eating, travelling and more recently writing.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Forever and for always (Beach tales)










It was getting darker by the minute. I walked along the sea shore, the waves gently touching my feet. I smiled. Nothing more to worry about. No nagging family.. No office work to keep me busy... No phone calls. Nothing. It was just me, and the sea. I liked it this way. Sometimes I felt that the sea was my only friend. I could sit all day long and soak up all the joys she could offer and yet she would expect nothing from me. Unconditional love. I felt all misty eyed all of a sudden. Plus I felt giddy, like the earth shook beneath me. I had to sit down somewhere.



The sandy beach shone under the moon. I plopped down on its velvetty surface, lost in thought . He suddenly appeared from nowhere taking me aback completely. He was mildly amused seeing me like this.



Brushing the hair that had fallen over my face aside, he asked me.."what is it my pet ? why so sad all of a sudden.. you know i hate seeing you like this"



I turned away with mild irritation.. "What are you doing here?"



He gave me a mock pout "I thought you'd be happy to see me"



I scowled and replied .."you know why i am like this..! its all your fault."



"Oh come on.. wont you forget the past?"



"If only you'd come..."



Now it was his turn to sigh .."you know.. there are lots of things I do wish had happened differently. One cant undo those things now, can they?"



"We could have made it happen... we could have.. if only you'd come".. I was angry and sad at the same time...I started crying..



"Shh shh.... dont cry now... I am here now, arent I?"



"Whats the point in you coming now" I cried out bitterly through tears.. "I have to go back.. to HIM!"



He took my hands and slowly wiped my tears.. " you dont have to" he whispered...



I looked up at him, mildly confused.."What do you mean?"





He looked at me with his watery deep eyes, eyes i'd die for, and said.."Remember, when we were together, those days...." his voice trailed as he looked away at the sea..



I cocked my head and looked at him.



Turning back at me , he said .." Remember , I told you that my commitment to you is for life. I would never leave you .. EVER"..



"Yes.... "



" When your parents forced you to marry him, you assumed I'd left you"



"Well, you didnt come to rescue me...I.. I.. what could I do alone? you were not there for me at that time.. It was like.. my heart just broke to a thousand pieces.. and .. honestly I didnt know what was happening to me anymore"



"So, you thought I'd failed you.. you thought I broke that commitment didnt you?"



I shrugged..."What else could I think ... I tried calling off my wedding.. I pleaded with my mother, my father.. no one listended to me... "



"But you now know why I couldnt come, dont you?".. He looked squarely at my eyes.



"... No.."



"OK.. Lets start with you ..what happened that day?"



I took a deep breath.."Well on that day, as we'd planned, I had all my stuff packed. I was to go to the wedding hall with my family. I sat through the initial rituals and when it was time to go back inside my room to change my saree, I asked for some time alone inside, changed into my salwar and called my friend who was to help me sneak out through that little passage we had already planned I was to get out through."



"Um.. hmm"



"Everything went brilliantly as per plan, I sneaked out and waited for you. You were to come there exactly at that time and whisk me away. .. I waited and waited.. you didnt turn up.. I called your number but it was not reachable..... I didnt know what to do... I broke down.. I must have been there for maybe 10 mins... people started to wonder where I was and discovered me .. I called for my mother and told her I couldnt go through this wedding.. I pleaded with them all... my father was furious.. I had never seen him like that.. they gave me something to calm me down... I just.. I just quietened down and got married.. I didnt.. I honestly didnt know what was happening..I was dazed".. I let out a loud sigh... "But why did you chicken out really?"



He shook his head slowly.. "I didnt.. As I was coming to get you, my bike got hit by a truck. The next thing I remember was a lot of people fussing over me and putting me on to an ambulance. I dont remember when I came around or how many days I was there in the hospital. I've come to get you now as soon as I was discharged "



Only then I noticed the ugly scar on his forehead. I touched it gently with a lot of feeling. "Oh My God, does it hurt?.. oh what have I done? oh God... it was I who should have waited...I made a big mistake.. and now.. now I am married!!"



"Doesnt matter... no no.. really... I made a commitment to you.. and I shall keep it"



'Its not possible...What do I tell them all..? I cant just come away like that"..



He smiled at me.."You can.. why not?... I now realize, this is what we should have done at that time too... we made a big mistake with that plan... we should have just left them all as soon as they objected to us getting married. To hell with them all. We should have stood our ground. Do you think in this world, people have the right to object to other people's happiness? Its a free world and we had a right to lead a life together. Instead we resorted to running away like cowards amidst full drama. I realize my mistake now. Its still not too late" he insisted.." We can get away from it all... we have a life together.. and we shall live it.."



My face must have glowed at this. I was smiling..."Really?, you mean it"



He got up and stretched his hand towards me.."I do... honestly I do... get up.. its a lovely warm night... just look at the sea will you"



I got up and dusted sand off my back.. the bottle I'd had on my lap rolled off and I could hear the glass break, but I didnt care...I took his hand...



He looked at me happily and said "Look at the sea... see how much joy she gives us... expecting nothing back.. such unconditional love"



I let out a whoop of joy.."Funny you say that, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing before you came.. only I felt sad thinking of it at that time.. and now I am so happy"



He came closer to me and held me tight.. "And we will be happy... there is no more sadness in our lives anymore"



I looked ahead at the sea and playfully indicated to him that we go to the water. He was not too keen as it was too late in the evening . I pulled him along forcefully, laughing all the way. The water looked heavenly, bathed in moonlight... Unconditional love.. so much joy!



*************************************************



The Deccan Times

Chennai, Nov 10, 2012



A young woman was washed ashore and was found by few fishermen early last morning. Early reports indicate that Praniti, 27, must have been in a heavily inebriated state when she had got into the water. Her family has been intimated. Newly married, Praniti leaves behind her husband of two months, her parents and her younger brother. Police have concluded that this was a case of suicide. A close friend of Praniti's, under the condition of anonimity, has revealed that Praniti had been highly depressed over the death of her boyfriend who had met with an accident and died on the day of her wedding.








































19 comments:

Aarti said...

Damn good post deepz.. You sure have a way with words :-)

dEEpz said...

thx aarts :)

Unknown said...

Where's the 'like' button here? :)

Antaracomms said...

It's chilling and unexpected. I was led on and then left shivering!

dEEpz said...

Hey thx guys

PrasannaPeshkar said...

Well really a damn beauty post. Forever has no meaning when you're living in the moment. Really someone should not be ready for that moment to end.

True Genius said...

Nice one.. u choose your words exceptionally well

dEEpz said...

Thank you all!

Gopal said...

Nice one.... enjoyed reading

dEEpz said...

Thank you :-)

Akash Govindarajan said...

Loved this post :D

dEEpz said...

:-) thx a lot

Unknown said...

OOOH!!What a twist!!it was nice end to the story!1the way the story was built up and the narration was too good!!
-keep them coming
muthiahsriram
http://bloggersjunction.wordpress.com/

vinodvv said...

Liked the love story, the twist and the fate the girl, all for love. Cool

S. Susan Deborah said...

Gosh, that struck hard! Gripping narration. Have you heard Lucky Ali's song, "Gori teri aankhen kahen, rrat bar soyi nahin?" That song will fit this piece very well.

Kudus to your imagination.

Joy always,
Susan

dEEpz said...

Thank you all for your comments :-)

mkris said...

though predictable I felt initially the end was chilling and out of the blue for me Deepz :) Nice write .. keep blogging more :) lovely .. am yet to come out of ur story yaar !

Deepa Iyer said...

Agree with Susan about the song. Although I could predict it midway (blame it on the million love stories I've read), the narration is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

love the way you narrated it.... keep writing girl:-)