About Me

My photo
An erstwhile Finance professional. Love eating, travelling and more recently writing.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

First Love


We were all of 17 then, me a few months older
In the midst of an Accounting problem, I turned to my friend,
To share a laugh and a giggle,
When I saw you, sitting in an adjacent desk
Talking to your friend, turning my way.
I didn’t know the heart could feel so many different things
Until then, when my eyes found you.
I gaped unabashedly, shielded partly by my friend
Is this what love at first sight was?
I didn’t know, I couldn’t think.
Nor could I eat, sleep and drink
since then. Was it love, or was it an obsession?
I was consumed by all things you.
Since that moment, I existed solely for you
My eyes searched for you everytime, in class
At the traffic signal, in supermarkets,
Hoping against hope, the universe would
Conspire to bring us together.
My imagination ran wild – dreaming up an apocalypse in which,
Everybody but you and me perished
But despite all this, I never approached you
Never went up to you and said ‘Hi’,
Never sent feverish love letters sprayed with fragrance.
And with end of classes, you moved on
Having never known what I felt
While I lived only in my dreams, where I would courageously
Jump down rooftops to be with you, in the mystery of the night.
Years later – after we each found our respective loves
You still existed in my life, as a tender memory
Of an unattainable dream, an unrequited love,
And perhaps that is for the better,
for if you and I had come together, sourness
would have wormed its way,
normalizing us; and who wants normal?
I am content of dreaming of a what could be,
And this is my happily ever after.





No comments: